Whether you enjoy winter or prefer the warmer months in Crystal and Twin Cities, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at GV Heating & Air can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give GV Heating & Air in Crystal and Twin Cities a call to get started. Give us a shout at 763-535-2000 or book an appointment with us online.