According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have pests or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask GV Heating & Air in Crystal and Twin Cities about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the experts at GV Heating & Air. Annual inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Examining your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clean.
Other ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and switch them out when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Crystal and Twin Cities home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at GV Heating & Air at 763-535-2000 or schedule an appointment online.