Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little bad luck, but we sometimes see heat pump problems in Crystal and Twin Cities during the winter time, when they’re needed the most to keep you comfortable. While you know the team at GV Heating & Air will forever be there ASAP when you ask for us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to ensure a repair is important and save yourself some expenses if it’s not. We’ve gathered this checklist of things to try before you give us a call.
- It may sound silly, but make sure everything is switched “on”. We’ve been to more than a few calls only to realize the thermostat or the heat pump itself is turned off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t turned on, go back to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat switched to heat? If yes, raise the temperature by five degrees to check if it turns on.
- If everything looks right, test your heat pump switch (if it has one) and inspect the fuses and circuit breaker that protect the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is a blockage causing your heat pump to breakdown?
- Try swapping the battery, if it has one.
- Examine your air filters inside your air handler to confirm they’re not clogging things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and clear?
If you’ve worked through this checklist and you still need a heat pump maintenance check, call GV Heating & Air at 763-535-2000 and we’ll get your home back to the welcoming and cozy place you expect this time of year.